The phrase “Sources of Law” literally means where rules of law are found. However, the phrase has been used to describe:
• The origins of the rules and principles which constitute the law applicable in a country at a given time.
• The source of force or validity of the rules or principles applicable as law in a country.
• The materials from which rules of law developed.
• The factors which influenced the development of the rules of law.
The main sources of law of Kenya are:
• The constitution
• Legislation or statute law
• Delegated legislation
• Statutes of general application
• Common law
• Case law