Under section 26(3) and 4 of the Constitution the Attorney General is empowered to;
• Institute and undertake criminal proceedings against any person before any court other than a court martial for any alleged offence.
• Take over and continue any criminal proceeding instituted and undertaken any other person or authority.
• Discontinue at any state before judgment is delivered any criminal proceedings instituted or undertaken himself or any other person or body.
• Order the commissioner of police to investigate any alleged or suspected criminal act. The commissioner must oblige and report to the Attorney General.
• The Attorney General is the public prosecutor.
• He is the only amicus curie.