CHRP 20 Entrepreneurship and Human Resources Consultancy
The course unit covers concept of entrepreneurship;the entrepreneur; approaches to entrepreneurship; entrepreneur motivation; entrepreneur opportunities and HR consultancy.
At the end of this course unit, the learner will be able to
- Discuss the various concepts of entrepreneurship and its role in economic development.
- Analyze entrepreneurial competencies required for starting and running a business.
- Identify and evaluate entrepreneurial opportunities
- Discuss the concept and role of consultancy.
- Analyze the HR consultancy process.
Prepare HR consultancy proposals.
Apply standard problem solving techniques in undertaking HR consultancy assignments.
Concept of Entrepreneurship
- Meaning and importance of Entrepreneurship
- Evolution of entrepreneurship
- Entrepreneurial culture
- Situations in which entrepreneurship is indicated
- Entrepreneurship process
- Entrepreneurship development in Kenya
- Factors affecting entrepreneurship in less developed countries
- Meaning and importance of the entrepreneur
- Types of entrepreneurs
- The entrepreneur
- Characteristics of the entrepreneur
- Functions of the entrepreneur
- Entrepreneurial competencies
- Techniques of enhancing entrepreneurial qualities
- Self assessment techniques for entrepreneurial potential
- Are entrepreneurs born or created?
- Contribution of entrepreneurs and entrepreneurs to national development
Approaches to the Study of Entrepreneurship
- Economic approach
- The entrepreneur as an organizer
- The entrepreneur as a risk-bearer
- The entrepreneur as an innovator
- The invisible hand
- Psychological approach
- Characteristics of entrepreneurs
- Need for achievement
- Lotus of control
- Sociological approach
- Negative displacement
- Personal background
- Positive pull
- Enabling environment
- Types of motivation
- Internal and external motivating factors
- Self-assessment and enhancing one’s motivation
- Meaning of a business opportunity
- Distinction between business ideas and business opportunities
- Generating business ideas
- Applying SWOT analysis to evaluate business ideas forpotential as business opportunities
- Selecting the business opportunity to create into a business
Human Resource Management consultancy
- Nature and purpose of consultancy
- Types of client systems
- Qualities of a consultant
- Models of consultancy
- Consultancy relationships
- Obligation and duties of consultants
- Consulting skills
- Standards and ethical issues
- Phases in consulting
- Consulting in various aspects of human resources management
- Developing a consultancy proposal
- Managing a consulting organization