Every workplace will have staff meetings/team meetings, formal and informal discussions. When a business places a proper value on the time spent people preparing for and attending meetings, it is quickly seen that they are a very expensive exercise. Have you ever been to one of those meetings where no objectives were met, no actions were agreed upon and generally it was a complete waste of your time? Effective meeting procedures are essential to ensure that the maximum output is gained from a meeting.
Requirement or essentials of a valid meeting or, necessary conditions of a valid meeting: There must be some requisites in order to validate the meeting. The necessary pre-conditions of a valid meeting are stated below:
- Right convening authority: A valid meeting must be convened the proper authority otherwise it wills loss its Company’s secretary is the proper authority to call a formal meeting.
- Proper notice: Duty signed and timely notice must be submitted to members before meeting. The place of meeting, time and date must be stated on the notice.
- Proper publicity of agenda: Every member of the meeting should be properly informed of the agenda. Agenda consists of items to be discussed and decided upon a meeting.
- Legal purposes: Every meeting must have a legal purpose. Any meeting should be properly informed of the agenda.
- Requisite quorum: For valid meeting requisite quorum is necessary. The meeting should not be stared until the requisite members of member s are Quorum means the least number of members to be presented in a meeting to get legal validity.
- Presence of right persons: Only legal members can present in the meeting. If there is an unauthorized person in the meeting, the meeting will lose its validity.
- Proper presiding officer: The chairman of a valid meeting must be a proper person.
- Conducting meeting according to the agenda: A valid meeting must be conducted according to the agenda. No decision will get validity, if it is not related to the agenda