• Establishment: it is established section 4 (1) of the Rent Restriction Act, Cap 296.
• Composition: it consists of a chairman appointed the minister. To qualify for appointment as chairman, one must be an advocate of not less than 5 years standing.
• Jurisdiction: It exercises original jurisdiction in civil cases between landlord and tenants of residential premises whose monthly rent does not exceed Ksh. 2500.
The rent tribunal has jurisdiction to:
• Assess the standard rent of any premises on application or at its instance.
• Determine the date from which such rent is payable
• Apportion service charge between tenants if a tenancy is shared.
• Permit the levy of distress for rent.
• Decisions of the tribunal may be appealed against in the High Court.