- The natures of the goods-Heavy and bulky goods are economically transported through sea or rail.
- Terminals-Availability of loading and offloading points dictate the form of transport to be used.
- Transportation cost-The cost of the means of transport should be reasonable in relation to the value of goods being transported.
- Distance-The choice of the mode of transport is dictated the length of the journey. Air/water means of transport is suitable for long distances where else road transport is suitable for shorter distances.
- Speed and urgency-Perishable goods which ought to be transported faster should use a quick means of transport e.g.air. If the goods are needed urgently, the cost incurred is overlooked
- Availability –The choice of means of transport should be confined to what is available.
- Flexibility-The means of transport should be flexible in terms of time and space thus serves the interests of the users.
- Packaging requirements- Special packaging might add to the rest and variation and diversions can be made.
(Visited 12 times, 1 visits today)