These can be discussed as services rendered to producers, retailers and to consumers.
Services of wholesalers to the producers
- They relieve the producers the problem of distribution buying goods from them and selling to retailers
- They relieve the producers of some risks they would experience e.g. damage,theft,fall in demand e.t.c
- Save the producers from the problem of storage buying goods and keeping in their warehouses
- They prepare goods for sale on behalf of the producers
- They get feedback from consumers on behalf of producers
- They promote products through advertising, displays,trade fairs and exhibitions
- They finance producers buying goods from them and paying in cash.
Services of wholesalers to the Retailers
- They stock a wide variety of goods in large quantities relieving the retailer from buying from different producers
- They avail goods at places convenient to retailers
- They break bulk for the benefit of retailers
- They offer transport facilities to retailers
- They offer advisory services to retailers regarding market trends
- They offer credit facilities to retailers
- They engage in product promotion on behalf of retailers
- They sort, blend, pack and brand goods saving retailers from having to do it.
Services of wholesalers to consumers
- They ensure a steady supply of goods to retailers hence consumers are not faced with shortages
- They ensure a stable supply of goods hence there will be stability in market prices
- They enable consumers to enjoy a wide variety of goods
- They break the bulk of goods thus enabling the consumer through the retailer to get the goods in convenient quantities
- They prepare goods for sale e.g. branding, blending and packaging
- Pass information to consumers through retailers about the goods e.g. new products, new prices and their use.