This is a means of transport which switches goods on transit from one mode of transport to another. The type of inter-modal transportation entail: piggy back, fishy back, train ship, air truck and Ro-Ros.
- a) Piggy back: This involves the use of rail and trucks road where cargo is transferred from anyone of the two to another.
- b) Fishy back: This is combination of water ship to truck (road) transportation where goods are shifted from anyone of the two to another.
- c) Train ship: This is the combination of water and rail transport. This is where goods are shifted from rail to water or from water to rail.
- d) Air truck: It involves the shifting of goods between air and road transportation modes.
- e) Ro–Ros: Roll on, roll off containership allows truck, trailers and containers to be directly driven on and off to the ship without using cranes.