CHRP 17 Leadership and Corporate Governance
The course unit covers introduction to leadership; leadership traits: leadership behavior; team leadership; organizational leadership; overview of corporate governance; stakeholders in corporate ‘governance; approaches to corporate governance; corporate governance practices and reporting; internal control systems; managing-business risks; ethics; and emerging issues and trends.
To equip the learners with the requisite knowledge and skills for effective leadership and corporate governance.
At the end of this course unit, the learner will be able to:
- Analyze leadership traits and behaviors as facilitators of key leadership functions.
- Apply concepts of team leadership in creating and managing groups.
- Evaluate different leadership approaches in enhancing organizational leadership.
- Identify the objectives and scope of Corporate governance in HR.
- Apply the principles of corporate governance in HR practices.
- Promote integrity and business ethics at the work place.
- Identify and mitigate HR related corporate risks.
- Nature of leadership
- Comparing management and leadership
Theories of Leadership
- Traits and Competency Theory
- Behaviourial Theory
- Functional Theory
- Contingency/Situational Theory
- Leadership behavior
- Leadership styles
- Leadership attitudes
Functions of a Leader
- Providing direction
- Conflict Management
- Team management
- Charismatic leadership
- Transformational/ Transactional Leadership
- Servant leadership
- Culture and Diversity
- Change management
- Emerging leadership issues and trends
Overview of Corporate Governance
- Introduction to corporate governance
- Principles of corporate governance
- Nature of corporate governance
- Corporate governance and agency theory
- Major issues in corporate governance
Stakeholders in Corporate Governance
- Classification of stakeholders
- Importance of stakeholder management
- Mendelow model of stakeholder management
Approaches to Corporate Governance
- Different types of corporate code of ethics
- Corporate social responsibility
- Corporate citizenship
Corporate Governance Practices and Reporting
- Role of the board
- Board members and roles
- Directors remuneration
- Reporting on corporate governance
Internal Control Systems
- Classification of control systems
- Internal control frameworks
- The internal audit standards
Managing Corporate Risks
- Types of corporate risks
- Risks and corporate governance
Risk Assessment, Audit and Management
- Frameworks for risk analysis
- Impact of risk on stakeholders
- Board consideration of risks
- Risk control frameworks
Emerging Issues and Trends
- Ethics and the public interest
- Ethics and professional practice
- Social and environmental issues