Under section 93 (1) of the Constitution, any foreigner desirous of becoming a citizen of Kenya may apply to the minister for naturalization. The constitution prescribes the minimum conditions an applicant must fulfill. The minister must be satisfied that the applicant:
• Has attained the age of 21.
• Is of good character.
• Has adequate knowledge of the Kiswahili language.
• Intends to continue residing in Kenya if naturalized.
• Has been ordinarily and lawfully resident in Kenya for 12 months immediately preceding the application.
• Has been ordinarily and lawfully resident in Kenya for a period of 4 years or for periods amounting in the aggregate to not less than 4 years during the 7 years immediately preceding the 12 months.
• The minister may thereupon grant the applicant a certificate of naturalization.