These are activities carried out to increase the sales volume of a business. They are activities out of the ordinary routine of business that is carried out the seller to increase his sales volume.
The methods of carrying out sales promotion includes all the methods of carrying out product promotion as discussed earlier, that is, shows and trade fair, showrooms, free gifts, free sample, personal selling, advertisement, window display, credit facilities, after sales services, etc
Factors to consider when choosing a promotion method
- The cost of the promotion that is whether the company can afford it or not, for some promotion methods are very expensive that may not be easily affordable to the company.
- The nature of the product being promoted especially whether it requires demonstration or not. Products which requires demonstration are best promoted through personal selling
- The targeted group for the advertisement, on whether they can be reached that method or not. The promotion method must reach the targeted group, if it has to be effective
- The objective that the firm would like to achieve with the promotion, and whether the method is helping them to achieve that particular objective
- The method used the competitor in the market to enable them choose a method that will enable them compete favourably
- The requirement of the law concerning product promotion, to enable them not use what the law does not allow