This refers to freely available software which can be acquired from the sources listed i.e. the Internet, magazine vendors, etc
Implications of using freeware:
1. Cost savings –Because the software is free
2. Compromised software quality
Almost all freeware is offered only for the purpose of evaluation. This contains many uncovered errors adopting such freeware an organization compromises in the quality of its systems.
3. No systems maintenance offered the software creators or distributors. Since freeware is free, the creators or distributors have no obligation to provide maintenance. The organization acquiring freeware would thus have to perform its own maintenance. This may be costly.
4. Compromised system quality
Freeware is usually an avenue for the propagation of viruses thus it compromises system security.
5. Poor software documentation
Freeware is not issued with hardcopy documentation. The softcopy documentation available with freeware is usually sketchy or incomplete.