It’s a protection against others disclosing the information that could be damaging to the business. Employees involved in working with ideas of processes may be asked to sign a confidential information agreement that will protect them against giving out the trade secrets.
To control the problem of disclosure of trade secrets by employee, an entrepreneur should do the following:-
- Train employees to refer sensitive questions to one person within the enterprise
- Provide escort to all office visitors
- Avoid discussing business in public places
- Keep important travel plans a secret
- Control information that may be presented by employees at conferences or in journals
- Use simple security e.g. lock file, cabinets, paper shredders where necessary
- Avoid faxing sensitive information
- Have employees and consultants sign non disclosure agreements
- Mark documents confidentiality when needed
- Make it clear to the employees that legal action can be taken if business secrets are revealed by employees.