This refer to how the office premises are to be divided up for the purpose of carrying out the different functions of an office
Consists of a large hall, or room wherein the entire clerical staff seat and work
Advantages of open office
- Better space utilization is possible because space has not been lost by partitions
- The supervisors feel easy to watch the office
- Its possible to reduce the number of supervisors
- The layout of the office can be altered or changed easily
- There is more economy in arrangement of light
- It reduces the movement of staff
- Better working conditions possible
- Decoration,cleaning and maintenance can be done inexpensively
- Work will be affected by visitors and movement of the office staff themselves
- There is internal noise, because conversation and talk in the office
- Infections and diseases may spread quickly
- Secrecy can’t be maintained
- The office will appear to be a crowded place
- Top executives may not feel comfortable in an open office
- A big hall may not be efficiently supervised
Partitioned or private offices
These offices are small rooms occupied by departments.Each department will be placed in each room. Such rooms are allotted by considering the nature of confidential matter to be dealt in or for top official etc.
Office landscaping means to make efforts to bring nature to an office by natural things on size of office staff. The introduction of the office staff landscaping increases efficiency of the staff and helps to reduce strain. The following can be taken to achieve this purpose.
- Some flowers can be kept in the office in pots.
- Some natural scenery can be painted on the walls of office.
- Sometimes office equates having the shape of wild animals or birds can be used.
- Low volume music.