This entails movement of goods and people on water in river, lakes, seas and oceans. The units of carriage include; canoes, ships, streamers, boats, ferries etc.it is categorized into;
- Inland water transport-they are not big e.g.rivers, canals and lakes.it is mostly for fun.
- Sea –water transport-comprises of seas and oceans and we use ships. Categories of ships are; passenger liners –have fixed schedules (cannot be hired) and cargo (carry bulky goods), and tramps which are owned individuals and sometimes company and do not follow a fixed route and time and can be hired.
ADVANTAGES OF WATER TRANSPORT.
- The medium occurs naturally thus no construction cost expect for artificial water ways eg canals.
- It is economical since it allows carriage of bulky goods over long distances.
- It facilitates carriage of special cargo since there are specially built ships.
- Large ships may be built to carry many goods thus lower carriage cost.
- It gives access to many countries of the world so long as they are bordered water.
DISADVANTAGES OF WATER TRANSPORT.
- Slow means thus unsuitable for carriage of perishable goods and urgently required goods
- They are expensive to construct and to maintain.
- Artificial canals are expensive to maintain and to construct.
- Ship transport can be affected unfavorable weather conditions weather conditions e.g. storms.
- It is susceptible to delays occasioned congestion at the port if there are no adequate loading and offloading facilities.