The terms server refers to running program on networked computer that accepts requests from the programs running on other computers to perform a service and respond appropriately. The requesting processes are referred to as client.
Benefits of client/server computing
• Client/server computing provides easier access to corporate’s internal and external data.
• It reduces costs of processing dramatically
• The maintenance cost of program is low
• It provides an infrastructure that enables business processes to be re engineered for strategic benefit
• It gives control to users of their own applications at their own locations.
• It reduces the operating costs of information system department.