Is a method of retaining or keeping information photographic records to reproduce when needed.
The record are micro-photographed and kept either on roll film,micro-fiche,aperture card or jacket
-When needed for reference the negative is shown on a screen or a copy is made.
-Micro filming is only important only when a great multiple of permanent records must be kept e.g. office of register of births etc.
- Save space and weight .Bulky files are replaced compact cartons of films.
- Documents can be sent abroad -Micro filming reduces cost of postage if information has to be sent expensive air mail.
- There is little risk of misplacing.
- There is saving of filling equipment as well as floor space.
- A film can be enlarged on a paper thus providing quick and accurate duplicate copies of the original documents.
- A film is more durable than paper and provides a much more permanent record. A film is more wear resistant than paper.
- A reader is required in order to refer to the inform action
- Its difficult to locate the information required from the film
- Poorly prepared film will not be readable
- It requires special equipment which is expensive
- Specialized knowledge is required to prepare the film and to refer
- Retrieval of information takes time